Tuesday, July 13, 2010

My Thank You list

Okay.

I've done it.

36 days of single-parenting ends tonight when Chris (hopefully) arrives around 4:30.  (Well, this is in theory of course.  He won't be able to see, much less parent, at that point... but you know what I mean.)

It's been an amazing experience for both Chris and myself.  I don't want to do it again anytime soon, but I think I've learned a lot from being here alone.  Somehow I think I'm emerging as a better parent.  I don't know how, but I think I'm more patient now.  And I know my boys better than ever before. (I didn't think I could learn more about them, but they are changing so quickly!  They are definitely little boys now.)

The reason this has been a mostly-positive experience is because of the lovely folk who have been there for me.

Thanks to John and Marilyn, the bestest grandparents possible!  The boys would have been way more bored and grumpy if it wasn't for your happy arrivals.  I, also, would have been much more crabby.  Thanks.

To Hannah who, although she gets paid for her work, is like a member of our family.  She knows the boys almost as well as I do and always fulfills her role as "Fun-Mom".  Thanks so much.

To lovely Alison who brought me a ready-made meal (yum!) and Fred and Tania who never forgot to ask if I needed something.

To my family for their chipper phone calls that kept my spirits up when they were flagging.  Smooches.

To my beautiful sister-in-law, Leanne:  Today is a big day for both of us.  I get a husband back and you, my dear, get a new house.   After a long year, I'm so happy that you are walking into a fresh-new-start today.  Our chats always make me smile and I feel so lucky that we've grown so close over the last year.  Congrats to you.

And, of course, this would not be complete without a big shout-out to my wonderful, funny and max-powered friend, Phil.  What can I say?  You have doled out more sanity to the dog, the boys and me than we deserve.  You are a true, true friend and I hope I can do the same for you at some point.

And to everyone else who helped along the way... thanks.

Now my sappy little note is done.  Sorry that it sounds like an acceptance speech gone long, but I really wanted to let these people know that I'm smiling today (and for the previous 35 days) because of them.

And you, Hub?  You just get your tired, cute self home.  A few more hours until you get to be welcomed back into this happy fold. 

We can't wait.

36 days, my friends.  It's a lifetime and a blink of an eye.


No comments: